Thursday, December 03, 2015

Retro Video of the Week: "The Super Bowl Shuffle" by The 1985 Chicago Bears

I usually reserve the Retro Videos of the Week between Thanksgiving and Christmas for holiday music videos, but today is a special anniversary.  Thirty years ago today, a certain greatest football team ever assembled from a certain town next to a certain lake walked into a certain studio and recorded a certain song called "The Super Bowl Shuffle."  Having moved to the Chicago suburbs right before the 1985 football season started, I have a special place in my heart for the '85 Bears.  They gave me my love for football.

"The Super Bowl Shuffle" was an over-the-top gesture that could only have been made and widely accepted in the '80s.  Hell, it was made in the middle of the season -- the day after the Bears lost their only game of the season to Miami.  But that didn't stop the moxie.  The song was nearly a Top 40 hit, peaking at #41 on the Billboard Hot 100, and it even earned a Grammy nomination for Best Rhythm and Blues Performance by a Duo or Group (losing out to Prince's "Kiss").  And the proceeds from the song went to charity, so that's a plus.

If that wasn't enough, for the second grade talent show a couple months after the Bears finished off the Patriots in Super Bowl XX, I was part of a group of about 15 kids (ranging from second to fifth or sixth grade) who performed "The Super Bowl Shuffle."  I was "LA Mike" Richardson.  I still remember all of his lyrics.

No comments: