Wednesday, September 21, 2005

A Day at the Malibu Sands Beach Club

Ever have a really annoying song in your head that you haven't heard in years? Since I woke up this morning I have had one of the more annoying songs of all-time seared on my brain, and I don't even know the title. It's that damn song from Grease that has the "shuba-shu-bop-sha-bop" in it (yes, I do realize how completely emasculating it was to write that last sentence). The worst part is that I've never seen Grease (movie or play), save for a laughable 30-minute version on a cruise in 1994 performed by people who would likely never leave the Norwegian Seeward stage. So I assume that was the only time I've heard the song in its entirety. My hope is that this curse has befallen me only because a young and tangy Olivia Newton-John appeared last night in a dream in which there were many ever-so-delightful misunderstandings.

Last night a bunch of peeps went over to the hizouse of Jamie "Mountie" Belanger and Amy "Clalahan" Belanger to see their new child, Aiden Cole "AC" Belanger. Joining me were the likes of Jessie "The Legend" LeMar, "NaviKate" Rohrer, Marc "Tron" Wiescinski, John "I Don't Like Titles" Ashcraft, and Erin "OC" Campbell. AC's Jeri Curl mullet is growing in very nicely, and I really think he has a solid shot at beating Nedick in the big wrestling meet against Valley this Friday. Jamie seems to be handling fatherhood well, as evidenced by this picture of him slamming a beer with his left hand and holding AC with his right. Needless to say, I'm eagerly awaiting their next child, who I can only assume will be a blond surfer-type who has a penchant for mischief and a taste for honey, if you know what I mean.

We watched the series premiere of "My Name Is Earl" (www.nbc.com/My_Name_Is_Earl), starring Jason Lee (whose character Brodie in Mallrats is possibly my favorite character in movie history). The premise is that Earl is a ne'er-do-well who hears about the concept of karma while watching Carson Daly awkwardly interview someone on his talk show. When Earl decides that he will atone for all the bad things he done in his life by doing good deeds, hilarity ensues. Also starring in the show is the second sauciest little tart of all saucy little tarts, Jaime Pressly (in case you're wondering, the sauciest is Eva Longoria, hands down). My sincere hope is that the show inspires more people to name their kids Earl. There aren't nearly enough Earls in the world, but try to name an Earl that isn't great. It's damn near impossible. Earl Campbell, Earl "The Pearl" Morrall, Earl Boykins, Earl Weaver. All of them, American heroes.

We also watched the season premiere of "The Office" (www.nbc.com/The_Office), starring the 40-year-old virgin himself, Steve Carell. If you haven't seen it, it's hilarious. Watch it.

With the combination of "The Biggest Loser," a touching reality show that helps morbidly obese people come to the blinding realization that their only real hope is gastric bypass surgery or death, "My Name Is Earl," and "The Office," NBC's Tuesday night line-up easily outshines its "Must See" Thursday night line-up. I can't believe "Joey" is still on.

Ever notice that you're slightly dsylexic?

No comments: