Saturday, September 03, 2005

IU 20 CMU 13...Andrew 15 or 16

Sometimes I forget that beer has alcohol in it. Last night was such an occasion. But that's what happens when BW-3 offers $4 23oz drafts, especially when they have Oberon on tap and I start drinking at 6. And with IU playing football, it's often a reason to drink more heavily than usual. There were several moments in the game when the "here we go again" thoughts entered my head, but luckily the Hurryin' Hoosiers remembered that they are a Big Ten team and that Central Michigan is a MAC team. The Terry Hoeppner era began with a victory, which is the first time that a new head coach at IU has beat his first D-1A opponent since Sam Wyche guided the Hoosiers to a 15-10 victory over perennial football juggernaut Duke in 1983 (note: Wyche left IU after one season to become head coach of the Cincinnati fucking Bengals). Then again, I am talking about a program where the winningest coach has a losing record.

Only 5 more victories until the Motor City Bowl! For all you nay-sayers out there, think about this: in 1966, IU was 1-8-1, limping to a 9th place finish in the Big Ten. In 1967, IU went to its only Rose Bowl, clinching its berth by beating No. 3 Purdue before a packed house at Memorial Stadium. I'm not saying we're going to the Rose Bowl this year, but I'm not saying we're not going to the Rose Bowl this year.

After the game, we sauntered over to the Burwood (i.e., the greatest neighborhood bar in Chicago) for some beers to celebrate the big win. The excitement in the air was palpable. It was there where I transformed from drunk to retarded, er, I mean, specially educated. What's a couple more spots on the liver? This morning at around 9am, I was the closest I've ever been to pissing and puking at the same time.

Jessie and I are staying at Ari's apartment, which is a studio. Goni made an appearance last night as Ari's bedfellow (all they did was lie in the same bed, so don't go gettin' any crazy ideas about the totally weird orgy that didn't take place). This morning, he left his watch here. I ALMOST DIED!! Luckily we reached him via mobile telephone (seriously!) before he had contracted with a local livery driver to transport him to his destination. Whew! I hope I never have to deal with something like that again.

Currently I'm watching Rutgers manhandle Illinois. Ahhh, New Jersey. The only state that has to give its flagship state university a name that has no reference whatsoever to the state in which it's located.

No comments: