Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Ushering in of Christember

Ah yes, the Mighty Midwest. Nowhere else on this Godforsaken planet can it be 70 degrees one night and a 16-degree wind chill the next. Awesome. Thanks Jesus.

So last night was Movie Night at our place. Jesterio the Magnificent made spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, and an angel food cake. As if that wasn't enough, she whipped up some chocolate chip cookies after dinner. Why? "'Cause I fuckin' felt like it" (her words, not mine). After a rousing Shocktober, which featured only horror movies on Movie Night, and a debate between the men and women as to whether it would be Shockvember or Lovember, we decided to extend the beginning of Christember into November in order to accommodate the many excellent Christmas movies available for viewing. Last night's selection was Elf, a delightful tale of chicanery and tomfoolery that teaches kids to trust adults who are dressed up in funny costumes and like candy. The list of attendees read like a murderer's row of Daytonian movie watchers: Jester, Jamie "Mountie" Belanger, Amy "Bartlett" Belanger, AC "Lungs" Belanger, Holt "Loves to Get" Hedrick, "NaviKate" Rohrer, Marc "Tron" Wiescinski, Jenn "Finally No Longer a Rookie" Wiesgerber, and Jim "Rookie" Gobrail.

You ever notice how some rednecks refer to what you and I call "grandma" and "grandpa" as "memaw" and "papaw?" If not, I invite you to visit any of the Bob Evanses, Wal-Marts, or Ponderosas here in Southwestern Ohio. It's eye-opening. But anyway, in honor of these cancers to society, Jamie and Amy decided that I will be referred to as AC's "Uncle Papaw." So whenever I see AC (shown to the left 18 years from now), I constantly refer to myself as Uncle Papaw, in hopes that his first word will be wither "uncle" or "papaw." Apparently the kid has noticed me. He can't speak yet, but I'll be damned if he hasn't mastered writing already. As you can see, he made (and wore) a shirt in my honor, and I have to say, his penmanship is excellent for an 88-day-old.

By the way, what the shit is Fox thinking canceling the Emmy-winning Arrested Development? I guess the humor was too subtle and high-brow for the many Americans who call their granparents memaw and papaw who are apparently watching Wife Swap instead. In related news, Stacked somehow remains on the air.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its nice to be remembered, somehow, at any rate.

I am waging an Evanston centered Campaign To recreate Arrested Development "In The Park"

I am hopeful Ravinia will pick up on the idea and contact Danny M. to resurrect his acting career.

I hope to play the evil stepmother. It went well, once.

Best to you from (Hateful) RF(G hastily discarded)

annie