Monday, March 30, 2009

Lou Saban

As you may or may not have heard, longtime pro and college football coach Lou Saban died Sunday. In addition to coaching two AFL championship teams, he is a graduate of both of my alma maters (LTHS and IU). Once when I was a junior or senior in high school, Saban stopped by football practice. Obviously, the coaches stopped practice immediately, and everyone gathered 'round to listen to Saban speak. Although most of us had probably never heard of him at that point, he commanded everyone's attention, telling us about his high school playing days, coaching in the AFL and NFL, and -- what I remember best -- the fact that the Marx Brothers had a farm in nearby Countryside for a while. Anyway, I never forgot it, and, after figuring out who Lou Saban was, I always thought it was pretty cool that he randomly stopped by our practice to chat with the team.

No comments: