Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Rocktober Album #15: The Black Keys – Rubber Factory (2004)


This has nothing to do with Rocktober, but I begin to question advertising agencies when I see a Folger's ad centered around Riverdance-style dancing. It's concerning. But I digress.

Following the lead of The White Stripes, The Black Keys are a Midwest Rust Belt duo – comprised only of a guitarist and a drummer – that cranks out high-quality, blues-influenced garage fuzz rock.

Rubber Factory, the band's third album, was actually recorded in an abandoned Akron rubber tire factory. The result is a gritty, bluesy, stripped-down offering that I consider to be the band's best album. Patrick Carney's drumming is best described as controlled rage. Dan Auerbach's guitars are fuzzy and awesome, and his voice continues to resemble a much older African-American bluesman. If you like blues rock with fuzzed-out guitars, then you will like this album. If you don't like blues rock with fuzzed-out guitars, please go back to Canada.

1. When the Lights Go Out
A bluesy start to the album, with plodding drums and a twangy guitar riff. Auerbach sounds like he's singing at the bottom of a well, and I mean that in the best possible way.
2. 10 A.M. Automatic
This is one of my favorite songs of the past decade. It's got a great riff and great guitar work overall. I've always like the opening line: "What about the night makes you change / Oh, from sweet to deranged." For me, it's whiskey.
3. Just Couldn't Tie Me Down
This a twangy, blues-influenced rocker, presumably about a incompetent dominatrix.
4. All Hands Against His Own
This one starts off with a catchy riff and beat, and all around, it's a solid blues rock song.
5. The Desperate Man
Christoff?
6. Girl Is On My Mind
This is another bluesy, fuzzy masterpiece with Carney bashing away in the background. I think I just described 95% of The Black Keys' songs.
7. The Lengths
The guys take it down a notch with a slide-guitar-infused, acoustic ballad.
8. Grown So Ugly
Not only is it some hard-hitting blues rock, but it's about some dude who leaves his woman in 1942, then comes back years later. She barely recognizes him, due to his ugliness.
9. Stack Shot Billy
I love this song. It's a take on the Stagger Lee legend, which has been retold by bluesmen many times over in song. The Black Keys' version is great. The drums are excellent on this song, and I do enjoy a good wah pedal guitar solo.
10. Act Nice and Gentle
This is another ballad, presumably not about a dominatrix, regardless of her competency.
11. Aeroplane Blues
Fuzzy guitars are the choruses in this one, which is interesting because the guitars in the verses are barely noticeable.
12. Keep Me
This is another bluesy song, with a choppy guitar riff that occasionally lets itself go with a bottleneck.
13. Till I Get My Way
This is a great ending to a great album. This song is energetic. Carney is punishing the drums. Auerbach's guitars are predictably (and deliciously) fuzzy, and his vocals are solid. The subject matter of this song is nice, especially for you stalkers out there. "I will be calling on you everyday / Till I get my way."

Unfortunately, only 8 of the songs are on Playlist.com, which I now firmly believed is conspiring against me and, more importantly, against Rocktober.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

No comments: