Monday, September 18, 2006

Hail to the Victors

I won't have time to write much of anything this week, since I have to prepare for and take depositions tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday in a case about which I know very little. I hope my firm has good legal malpractice insurance.

But I must discuss four things that happened this past weekend:
  1. Tony "T-Diddy" Green came to town for Saturday's annual hockey (drinking, not skates) game. The teams were Up 'N Ya (T-Diddy, Me, Reed, Weed) against Rebble Ribble (Goni, Noble, Gsell, and Chambers). T-Diddy was the only person on our team who played (and lost) last year. Nonetheless, our team chemistry was nothing short of remarkable. The 15-10 lead we built after the first period proved to be insurmountable, although it was one of the closest, evenly matched hockey games that I have been a part of, despite the extremely "ginny" third batch of punch that Noble made in an apparent effort to kill everyone. Final score: Up 'N Ya 36 Rebble Ribble 33
  2. The Bears squeaked out a victory over Roy Williams and the Lions. Rex Grossman did his best Sid Luckman impression, throwing 4 TDs (coming up 3 short of Luckman's NFL record). For the 2nd week in a row, it was stupid how close the Lions were to scoring 40 points. At their current pace, they should have 40 sometime in the first quarter of the 7th game. Final score: Bears 34 Lions 7
  3. On Saturday, Michigan walked into Notre Dame Stadium (or whatever it might be called) and crucified Touchdown Jesus. Don't get me wrong, I hate both teams, but this is one of the very rare instances in which I will root for Michigan. It was almost as if Notre Dame had no business whatsoever being ranked #2, which is weird because Notre Dame is almost never ranked between 10 and 20 spots too high in the polls. Final score: Michigan 47 Notre Dame 21
  4. Also on Saturday, the storied Indiana Hoosiers football team fell victim to this year's NCAA's D 1-AA conspiracy, falling to Southern Illinois and joining the ranks of Colorado, Northwestern, New Mexico, and probably others, as D 1-A schools who have lost to 1-AA teams at home this year. It's clear to me that there is a concerted, communistic effort on the part of Myles Brand and the NCAA to "even the playing field" between the classes. Had I been at the game, I probably would have thrown things. Final score: SIU 35 IU 28

That's all I got, probably until Thursday. Please email me Midwestern Eavesdropping submissions at gmyhblog@yahoo.com. Also, feel free to give me another job. I love you all.

3 comments:

Jalehlabad said...

I got a few calls about the IU loss to SIUC since I had several friends who went to SIUC. The only consolation to be taken in this loss is that IU lost to a school that quite possibly loves to party more than IU. I say this as I was forbidden to attend SIUC by my parents because of its known reputation for parties turning into riots. Ahh...the beady days of being an undergrad.

Anonymous said...

I also caught quite a bit of $h*t from my employer over IU's defecating of the proverbial bed.

On another note, I recommend some Day-in-the-life type entry on Tradd Fromme. I think your readers could really go for that.

Finally, when you were in the presence of Jake Noble, did he put his amazing chugging abilities on display?

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why you think there's a conspiracy theory. If you look at the numbers upsets are down from years' past.

Josh Centor
NCAA