Thursday, June 07, 2007

A-Z CDs - Day 22

183. The Everly Brothers - All-Time Greatest Hits (last listen: 2-5 years) - A good collection of Phil and Don's classics, including "Bye Bye Love," "Wake Up Little Susie," "All I Have To Do Is Dream," "Cathy's Clown," "When Will I Be Loved," "(Til) I Kissed You," and "Crying in the Rain."
184. Faith No More - The Real Thing (last listen: 1-2 years) - I hesitate to call them the Godfathers of Rap Metal, since that certainly brings with it a negative connotation, but "Epic" certainly paved the way for the likes of Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Korn, and all that other shite. This album isn't just "Epic," though (which is a great song). Other solid songs are "Falling to Pieces," and their cover of my favorite Black Sabbath song, "War Pigs." There is also a song called "Woodpecker from Mars." Awesome.
185. Fastball - All the Pain Money Can Buy (last listen: 1-2 years) - "Out of My Head" is one of those songs that will always remind me of senior year in college. Thus, it is immortal as far as I'm concerned. The rest of the album is pretty good as well. You probably know "The Way" and "Fire Escape," and the rest of it is good pop rock.
186. Fatboy Slim - You've Come a Long Way Baby (last listen: 1-2 years) - Until I heard "In Heaven," I had no idea that Fatboy Slim was dead, had gone to heaven, and is currently having sexual intercourse in heaven. But seriously, this is a solid album. Simply put, if it don't make your booty move, your booty must be dead.
187. Fleetwood Mac - Early Greatest Hits (last listen: 2-5 years) - I got this at a flea market in Vienna (not even kidding), and it was apparently put our by a Polish record company, so I have been unable to find a link to this exact CD, although I did find this link to a Polish eBay auction for it. This is a compilation of the hits (?) of the early incarnation of Fleetwood Mac, which was a blues band led by Peter Green -- before Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, or Christine McVie were in the group (although the CD itself has pictures of the five "classic" lineup, discussed below). The original version of "Black Magic Woman" (thrust into immortality of course by Santana and by the softcore skin flick starring Mark Hamill) is on the CD, as is the original version of "Oh Well" (the version you most often hear on the radio is a live version sung by Buckingham), which is my favorite Fleetwood Mac song, featuring the lines, "Can't help 'bout the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin, but don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to," as well as a wicked jam, ending with an extended acoustic coda that sounds like it should be in a spaghetti western.
188. Fleetwood Mac - Greatest Hits (last listen: 2-5 years) - This album features the hits from 1975 on, with the "classic" lineup (Mick Fleetwood, John & Christine McVie, Buckingham, and Nicks). Personally, I don't like it as much as their early stuff, but the whole love/hate back story makes their songs more interesting than they would otherwise be.
189. Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters (last listen: 0-3 months)
190. Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - This is one of my favorite driving CDs.
191. Footloose: 15th Anniversary Collectors' Edition (soundtrack) (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - Because everyone needs a little bit more Shalamar.
192. Forrest Gump (soundtrack) (last listen: 5+ years) - I once performed a very inappropriate, but very well-received, semi-erotic dance to this entire soundtrack at Zumpano's future wife's family home in Momence, Illinois back in the summer of 1998. I was in a weird place at the time.

No comments: