Monday, June 11, 2007

A-Z CDs - Day 24

201. The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - I hate to call an album "fun to listen to," since that sounds unbearably close to something my mom might say to describe 1987-era Whitney Houston, but this album is fun to listen to. As I so eloquently stated in last year's Lollapalooza recap, "If you put Rage Against the Machine, ABBA, Beastie Boys, Faith No More, Sly & The Family Stone, and the Spice Girls into a blender, The Go! Team would be the resulting smoothie. They are incapable of being classified into any one genre." But damn are they fun to listen to!
202. Goo Goo Dolls - A Boy Named Goo (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - It's a terrible name for a boy, but a pretty good album. I have no idea how I acquired this album, although it's entirely possibly I received it from those very nice Dutch settlers in exchange for Manhattan.
203. Grateful Dead - American Beauty (last listen: 0-3 months)
204. Grateful Dead - Skeletons from the Closet: Best Of (last listen: 2-5 years) - "St. Stephen" is a pretty good song.
205. Al Green - Greatest Hits (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - This is a great CD, and a regular in my CD case that I bring to work in non-A-to-Z periods. "Let's Stay Together" was Jessie's and my first dance at our wedding. I'm a fan of all the other songs on the album as well. In particular, "Tired of Being Alone" is great, "Love and Happiness" has an infectious organ and bass line, and "Belle" is a solid ballad. And the album's cover is hysterical.
206. The Greenhornes - East Grand Blues (EP) (last listen: 1-2 years) - Unfortunately this is the only Greenhornes CD I have, although I have downloaded a bunch of their songs. For those of you who don't know, they are a garage band from Cincinnati, and they sound like a '60s garage band. Good stuff. I saw the open for The White Stripes a couple years ago, and two of the Greenhornes are in The Raconteurs.
207. The Guess Who - The Best of The Guess Who (last listen: 5+ years) - For some reason, I always forget about this CD, but it's full of solid songs. Lead singer Burton Cummings's voice is great. "Share the Land," "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature," and "These Eyes" are my favorites on the album.
208. Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (last listen: 0-3 months) - I'm not sure I really need to say anything about Appetite, other than "Rocket Queen" is my favorite GNR song and this album is up there with the greatest rock and roll albums of all-time.
209. Guns N' Roses - G N' R Lies (last listen: 0-3 months) - The first four songs are "live" songs from before Appetite. I put "live" in quotes because there are rumors that some of the songs were actually recorded in the studio with crowd effects added. Live or not, the four songs kick ass. I'm especially fond of their cover of Rose Tattoo's "Nice Boys." The second four songs are acoustic, and of course "Patience" was the big hit from this one. "Used to Love Her" is my second favorite GNR song. I think everyone could do without "One in a Million," and I'm still confused as to why Slash (whose mother is African-American) ever agreed to it.
210. Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion (last listen: 0-3 months) - This CD is a melding of the two Use Your Illusions. "November Rain" and "Don't Cry" are classics. "Yesterdays" is an underappreciated song, and probably my favorite on the album. The only song I would have liked to see on here that's missing is "Get in the Ring," Axl's invitation to kick Bob Guccione, Jr.'s "bitchin' little ass." Bottom line: I can't wait for Chinese Democracy to come out.
211. Hall & Oates - The Very Best Of (last listen: 2-5 years) - Sweet 'stache.

No comments: