Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A-Z CDs - Day 25

It was a slow day because I was in and out of the office. Definitely hurt the productivity. But it may mean tomorrow is all Hendrix, which is a wonderful thing.
212. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (last listen: 1-2 years) - In my opinion, this is the best of any solo Beatles albums. "What Is Life" is my favorite track off the album. "Awaiting On You All," the title track, and "Wah Wah," are also solid songs.
213. Heart - Greatest Hits (last listen: 2-5 years) - Heart is often overlooked, but they put out some great songs. Ann Wilson's voice reaches ethereal heights on "Crazy On You." "Barracuda" kicks ass. "Magic Man" is obviously a classic. And they had a solid string of hits in the '80s ("Alone," "Never," "What About Love," "Nothing At All," "These Dreams," "Will You Be There (In the Morning)"). "All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You" was me and my late 6th/early 7th grade girlfriend's song. Still waiting, Katie, and still wanting. Call me.
[NOTE: with Jimi Hendrix, after the three Jimi Hendrix Experience studio albums, I am making no distinction between the Experience, Hendrix "solo," or other incarnations. My order of Hendrix stuff, thus, may or may not be in any semblance of order.]
214. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - Phenomenal debut from the greatest American musician of all-time. There, I said it.
215. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - My favorite of Hendrix's studio albums, this one also features my favorite Hendrix song, "One Rainy Wish," an excerpt of which my wife so graciously allowed me to print on our wedding program ("I have never laid eyes on you / Not like before this timeless day / But you walked in and once smiled my name / And you stole my heart away"). Interestingly, that excerpt is from my favorite part of the song (and thus, my favorite Hendrix moment), right when the first verse ends, and he kicks it into high gear.

No comments: