Saturday, January 23, 2010

New Book - The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

I just finished Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman, and it was predictably good. As with several of his other books, it is a collection of essays, mostly about pop culture. Some essays were better than others. I particularly enjoyed his essays about the inherent problems with the concept of time travel, Ralph Sampson's possibly disappointing pro basketball career, why football succeeds by being both liberal and conservative at the same time, and why no one loves or hates ABBA.

I just started reading The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Mayhem at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson. I have been meaning to read this one for several years, since it combines the three things I love most: 19th Century Chicago, World's Fairs, and serial killers.

Books read in 2010:
Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman

2 comments:

gregerson said...

Great book. That World's Fair put the BR in PBR. And don't even get me started on the Ferris wheel.

Anonymous said...

Had much sexual intercourse lately?