Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tuesday Top Ten: Movies of the 2000s

I promise this will be the last "best of the 2000s" Tuesday Top Ten. Apparently I lean towards comedies.

10. Superbad (2007)
Michael Cera is hilarious. Jonah Hill is hilarious. McLovin' is hilarious. The whole movie is just excellent. It's like Dazed and Confused for a new generation.
Favorite lines:
Becca: "Your cock is so smooth."
Evan: "Yours would be to, if you were a man."

Seth: "So one day, I'm finishing up this real big, veiny, triumphant bastard . . ."

9. Super Troopers (2001)
Broken Lizard's first (and, in my opinion, best) offering. This almost makes you want to become a Vermont State Trooper.
Favorite lines:
Fast food worker: "Litercola? Do we serve litercola?"

Farva: "License and registration, chicken fucker."

8. Blades of Glory (2007)
The best movie about figure skating ever. Take that, Cutting Edge!
Favorite lines:
Chazz: "No exaggeration, I could not love a human baby more than I love this brush."

Chazz: "Twin dongs."

Hector: "I totally want to cut off your skin and wear it to my birthday. It's coming up."

7. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2005)
I didn't think this was all that great the first time I saw it, but it has definitely grown on me. It does have the best dog-punting scene in recent memory.
Favorite lines:
Ron: "Brick killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?"

Random news station employee: "Smells like Bigfoot's dick!"

Ron: "Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

Tino: "We have a saying in my country: The coyote of the desert likes to eat the heart of the young and the blood drips down to his children for breakfast, lunch and dinner and only the ribs will be broken."

6. Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
This is one of those movies that people either love or hate. I thought it was hysterical. Napoleon is one of the most ridiculous characters of all-time, yet you somehow have no problem with anything he does because it's his own little world and it all makes sense there. I also think Kip and Uncle Rico are two of the more creepily hilarious supporting roles.
Favorite lines:
Napoleon: "This is pretty much the worst video ever made."Kip: "Napoleon, like anyone can even know that."

Kip: " Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

Rico: "How much you wanna bet I can throw a football over them mountains?"

5. Almost Famous (2001)
This is just a great movie. The story (which is kind of based on a true story) is great. The music is great. It's all just great.
Favorite lines:
Russell: "I am a golden god!"

Elaine Miller: "May I speak with William, please?"
Sapphire: "He's not here. He's down in the bar with the band. They just got back from the radio station. Is this Maryann with the pot? Hello?"
Elaine Miller: "No, this is not Maryann with the pot. This is Elaine. His mother. Could you please give him a message for me? Could you tell him to call home immediately? And could you also tell him, I know what's going on."
Sapphire: "All right. But I'm just going to say this, and I'm going to stand by it: you should be really proud of him. 'Cause I know men, and I'll bet you do too. And he respects women, and he likes women, and let's just pause and appreciate a man like that. I mean, you created him out of thin air, and you raised him right, he's having a great time, he's doing a good job, and don't worry - he's still a virgin. And we're all looking out for him. And that's more than I've ever even said to my own parents, so there you go. This is the maid speaking, by the way."

4. Old School (2003)
I think this is every man's fantasy: having a crash pad on a college campus and starting a fraternity for non-students. I guess that's kind of what the Elks do, minus the college campus thing.
Favorite lines:
Mitch: "Sorry, your seatbelt seems to be broken. What do you recommend I do?"
Cab driver: "I recommend you stop being such a faggot. You're in the backseat."

Peppers: "You better pull that shit out man. That shit is not cool."
Frank: "Wait. What? Pull what out?"
Peppers: "You got a fucking dart in your neck man."
Frank: "You're, you're crazy man. I like you, but you're crazy."

Beanie: "Oh yeah. Cheeeeeese. Yeah, didn't we lock you in a dumpster one time?"
Dean Pritchard: "Yeah, I got out."
Beanie: "Cool man. Good. Glad you did."

3. The Royal Tenenbaums (2001).
This is my favorite Wes Anderson movie. In addition to creating extraordinary characters, he does such a fantastic job of creating visually interesting films and an even better job of using music in his films. This movie is one of the driest, most deadpan comedies around. I'm actually concerned when I meet someone who doesn't like it because they "don't get it."
Favorite lines:
Royal: "Oh no no, that's uh, dog's blood."

Eli: "What'd you say?"
Richie: "Huh?"
Eli: "What?"
Richie: "I didn't say anything."
Eli: "When? Right now? (pause) I'm sorry. Don't listen to me. I'm on mescaline. I've been spaced out all day."
Richie: "Did you say you're on mescaline?"
Eli: "I did indeed. Very much so."

2. Best in Show (2000)
In my opinion, this is the funniest of the Christopher Guest mockumentaries (with Waiting for Guffman coming in a very close second). The characters are all perfectly hilarious. Not that I have ever watched a dog show, but if I were to do so, it would not be the same as if I had watched a dog show before I had seen this movie.
Favorite lines:
Max: "I'll gouge your right eye out with my thumb, I shit you not, you little freak! Now, will you get down here? I'm gonna punch you in the eye till it turns to jelly! I'll stab you with forks till you bleed, how 'bout that?"

Harlan: "I used to be able to name every nut that there was. And it used to drive my mother crazy, because she used to say, 'Harlan Pepper, if you don't stop naming nuts,' and the joke was that we lived in Pine Nut, and I think that's what put it in my mind at that point. So she would hear me in the other room, and she'd just start yelling. I'd say, 'Peanut. Hazelnut. Cashew nut. Macadamia nut.' That was the one that would send her into going crazy. She'd say, 'Would you stop naming nuts!'"

1. American Psycho (2000)
Based on one of my favorite books, this might be the most quotable movie of the decade. From what I gather, a lot of people simply don't understand that this is supposed to be a dark comedy, satirizing the excesses of the '80s. I think it's a laugh riot, myself. Christian Bale (who was relatively unknown then, other than as the kid in Empire of the Sun) plays Patrick Bateman perfectly, so much so that I can't imagine him in any other role when I hear him speak.
Favorite lines:
Patrick: "I like to dissect girls. Did you know that I'm utterly insane?"

Waiter: "Would you like to hear today's specials?"
Patrick: "Not if you want to keep your spleen."

Patrick: "I think, um, Evelyn that, uh, we've lost touch."
Evelyn: "Why? What's wrong?"
Patrick: "My need to engage in homicidal behavior on a massive scale cannot be corrected but, uh, I have no other way to fulfill my needs."

1 comment:

Marcus Halberstram said...

how could you leave these out:

Patrick: "You'll have to excuse me. I have a... lunch meeting with... Cliff Huxtable... at the Four Seasons... in twenty minutes."

as well as the best line Reese Witherspoon has ever been blessed with:

Evelyn: "What does Mr. Grinch want for Christmas? And don't say breast implants again."

Paul Allen: "No can do... got an 8:30 res at Dorsia... great sea urchin ceviche."