Wednesday, December 30, 2020

CoronaVinyl Day 190 (Z): I Am What I Am by Pia Zadora

For an explanation of CoronaVinyl, click here.

Today's CoronaVinyl category is "Z," and I only have three albums by "Z" artists.  Since I've already featured ZZ Top's Eliminator and Rob Zombie's Electric Warlock Acid Witch Satanic Orgy Celebration Dispenser, that leaves Pia Zadora's I Am What I Am.

This is another album that I must have acquired as part of a larger lot of vinyl I purchased, as I wouldn't knowingly spend money on this -- even if there is a precariously placed rip in the album cover that make it look like she's smoking a fat joint.  I have nothing against Pia Zadora, but her style of music just isn't my bag.  Zadora was primarily an actress, and has the unique distinction of winning a Golden Globe Award as Best New Star of the Year and Razzies for both Worst New Star and Worst Actress for the same role (her role in the 1982 film Butterfly).

In the early '80s, she began making music.  While she had released some pop music, 1986's I Am What I Am was her second album in a row where she sang standards and was backed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra.  The album isn't available on Spotify or YouTube, and I don't really feel like listing the tracks, since there are 15 songs.

Favorite song from Side 1:  "I'm Beginning to See The Light"
This is a cover of the Duke Ellington song (also recorded by Ella Fitzgerald, Bobby Darin, and many others).

Favorite song from Side 2:  "The Lady is a Tramp"
This is a cover of the Frank Sinatra classic.

No comments: