Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Tuesday Top Ten: '70s British Glam Christmas Songs

Believe it or not, last week I had planned to do a Tuesday Top Ten of my favorite '70s holiday songs, several of which most certainly would have been British glam songs.  Things got away from me for whatever reason, so I didn't post a Tuesday Top Ten, but I'm glad I didn't because the good folks at Riot Fest did the work for me.  Later last week, I came across this article titled "Our Top 10 Tracks For a Very 70s Glam Rock Christmas."  

As the article points out, for whatever reason, there was a bit of a revival of Christmas songs in the UK in the '70s -- with Brits waiting the bated breath to see which song was #1 on the pop charts on Christmas -- and glam was right on top of it.  Glam stalwarts like T. Rex, Slade, Wizzard, Roxy Music, Sparks, and Mud all put out Christmas songs (though T. Rex's song wasn't discovered until the '90s).

Here is the list.  I'll let you read the article to find out about each song, since I can't do them justice like the author has done.  Also, the article has an embedded video of each:

10.  "Wombling Merry Christmas" by The Wombles
9.  "Stop The Cavalry" by Jona Lewie
8.  "Make a Daft Noise for Christmas" by The Goodies
7.  "Thank God It's Not Christmas" by Sparks
6.  "Giddy Up (Sleighride)" by Roxy Music (as The Dumbells)
5.  "Lonely This Christmas" by Mud
4.  "Christmas Bop" by T. Rex
3.  "Hey Mr. Christmas" by Showadaddy
2.  "Merry XMas Everybody" by Slade
1.  "I Wish It Would Be Christmas Everyday" by Wizzard

As the author says, it would be a "fool's errand" to try to pick which of the top two should be number one, as both are classics.  Both were released in 1973, with Slade topping the UK pop chart with "Merry XMas Everybody," and Wizzard's "I Wish It Would Be Christmas Everyday" coming in at #4.  Both were instant holiday classics and remained beloved.  I will say that Wizzard's video is a little bit more insane -- with a then 27-year-old Roy Wood looking like he's in his 90s dressed as some glammed-out Father Christmas -- so I'm fine with it getting the nod.

Needless to say, if you're looking to punch up your holiday playlist with some new (to you) songs from across the pond, these are great songs to add.

No comments: