Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Retro Video of the Week: "When My Heart Finds Christmas" by Harry Connick, Jr.

This week's holiday-themed Retro Video of the Week comes courtesy of New Orleanian crooner Harry Connick, Jr.  In 1993, Connick released a Christmas album called When My Heart Finds Christmas, which ended up being a huge success.  It was the top-selling holiday album in the U.S. in 1993, and has since gone triple platinum in the U.S.

At some point, I acquired this CD, but I don't think it's something I would have intentionally purchased, so maybe it was my wife's and it just got mixed in with mine.  Either way, I'm familiar with it.  The album is mostly traditional and/or popular Christmas songs -- like "Sleigh Ride," "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer," "O Holy Night," and the like -- but there are also four original Connick compositions:  the title track, "(It Must've Been Ol') Santa Claus," "The Blessed Dawn Of Christmas Day," and "I Pray On Christmas."

I was hoping there would be a video for "(It Must've Been Ol') Santa Claus," which is my personal favorite on the album, as it has a nice New Orleans jazz feel.  But alas, you'll have to settle for the title track, which has an official video.  It's sentimental and stringy -- just like everything else in the '90s.  Wait, what?

No comments: