Friday, May 04, 2007

"Soc is a Good Major"

Great Article About Little 500
As many of you know, every April at IU is the largest intramural event in the world: the Little 500 -- a 50-mile, 33-team bike race around a quarter-mile cinder track, which attracts 15,000 to 20,000 spectators, most of whom have been drinking since 7 a.m. In addition to spawning the greatest party week at any college in the nation (and I dare ANYONE to challenge me on that one -- I have the liver spots to prove it), it has also spawned the 1979 Academy Award winning movie, Breaking Away. Anyway, ESPN.com Page 2's Jim Caple wrote a fantastic article about Little 5, detailing its awesomeness. The accompanying video is pretty good as well. Thanks to Mean Old Man Morgan for the link. You know, frat guys usually don't date dormies.

Internet Hoaxes
For all of you assholes who still believe that forwarding an email will somehow help a sick child or will result in Microsoft paying you money, first of all, I hate you with every fiber of being, and second, PC World complied a list of the Top 25 Internet Hoaxes and Pranks. For the love of God, please read this article, and think twice before you forward something that conditions your dreams coming true on whether or not you send it to ten people within the next 30 minutes. Face it, your dreams are never going to come true, and a poorly worded email about kidney harvesting isn't going to change that, unless of course your dream is to piss off all your friends. Also, as it turns out, my extensive efforts to help Nigeria's Defense Minister with his sticky trust fund situation may not result in the sizeable bounty I've been promised by his nephew.

A-Z
I know I've threatened it before, but I think my life is finally boring enough that I can -- no, must -- go through with my threat to listen to my 500+ CDs straight through from A-Z. So, beginning on Monday, I will do so. I expect the process to take somewhere between 10 and 12 weeks, but I'm fairly certain that I will be a better man because of it. While going through this grueling process, I will keep count of my CDs, so as to impress the shit out of you with how much money I've wasted over the past 15 years on such gems as Meat Puppets and Quicksilver Messenger Service. Double albums will only count as one, though I will count box set CDs individually. Why? Because it's my idea, so rationality is not a necessity.

In case you're wondering, I am including: (1) full albums (including full albums that I have downloaded); (2) CD singles and EPs; (3) soundtracks; (4) greatest hits CDs; (5) compilation CDs (ones that I bought, not ones that I made); and (6) CDs that the people who lived in my apartment before me left when they moved to Dubai. Compilations will come after ZZ Top, since that's how I keep them in the regular course of business.

What will NOT be included are: (1) classical music CDs; (2) mix CDs; (2) Jessie's CDs; and (4) the Dave Matthews CD that someone left in my room junior year (so that I can ensure no one will ever listen to it again).

Also, as much as it pains me, Hair Band Friday and First Three Albums will be postponed until the bitter conclusion of the A-Z CD Extravaganza. If I happen to purchase a new CD by an artist whose place in the alphabet has already passed, then I will immediately play that CD, even if it technically interrupts the A-Z nature of this undertaking.

This will be beneficial for several reasons: (1) I get to listen to all of my CDs; (2) I get to listen to some new CDs that were not worthy of travel to the United Arab Emirates; and (3) I get to find out which CDs I no longer have due to theft or Jessie leaving them on a plane from Denver to Minneapolis coming home from Yeh's wedding in July 2004. I make no apologies for any of my CDs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now I feel comepelled to reimburse you for your lost CDs due to your generous presence at our wedding. Let me know the tally.