Friday, May 25, 2007

A-Z CDs - Day 15

124. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Willy and The Poor Boys (last listen: 1-2 years) - "Effigy" is a great, mildly haunting song off this album that you don't hear enough.
125. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicle (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - I challenge anyone to dislike CCR. Seriously, I've never met a single person who hates CCR. Some people may be indifferent, but no one hates them. Because that would be impossible, even if John Fogarty pronounces "burnin'" as "boynin'" in "Proud Mary." My favorite songs off this CD are "Lodi," "Green River," and "Someday Never Comes."
126. Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash (last listen: 1-2 years) - "Don't let the past remind us of what we are not now."
127. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - So Far (last listen: 2-5 years)
128. Culture Club and Boy George - At Worst, The Best of Boy George and Culture Club (last listen: 2-5 years) - I am not ashamed to say that Culture Club's Colour By Numbers was the first tape I ever bought with my own money. Anyway, the first 8 songs of the Best of CD are solid (all the hits you know and love), but the remainder is solo Boy George, which is an odd mix of techno pop, reggae, adult contemporary, Prince rip-offs and "The Crying Game." I also find it strange that there is a picture of Annie Lennox on the cover of the album.
129. Sheryl Crow - Sheryl Crow (last listen: 5+ years) - I used to think I was sensitive. This CD is probably my favorite mistake, even though I now realize that song is not on this album.
130. Cruel Intentions (soundtrack) (last listen: never) - Apparently this didn't make the trip to Dubai either. It has a couple songs you'd immediately recognize ("Praise You" by Fatboy Slim and "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve), and while I wasn't overly impressed with the CD as a whole, I didn't want to stab myself in the ears all that often.
131. Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill (last listen: 0-3 months)
132. Cypress Hill - Black Sunday (last listen: 5+ years) - I always forget what a great album this is, and it's more than just "Insane in the Brain." The "Son of a Preacher Man" sample in "Hits from the Bong" is otherworldly. I also enjoy "Hand on the Glock," the sequel to "Hand on the Pump" (from the first album). And who can't relate to "I Wanna Get High," "Legalize It," and "A to the K"?
133. Danzig - Thrall - Demonsweatlive (last listen: 2-5 years) - Of course you all know the hidden 93rd track, the studio version of "Mother," but the remaining 7 songs are solid as well. The "Thrall" part of the album is in the studio, while the "Demonsweatlive" part is live, apparently in a location where demon were sweating. With the album cover artwork and songs like "Snakes of Christ" and "Am I Demon," it's easy to forget that Glenn Danzig was a big fan of early rock 'n' roll, as evidenced by his inclusion of a cover of "Trouble," penned by the legendary songwriting duo of Lieber & Stoller for Elvis's 1958 film, King Creole. Interestingly, along with Glenn Danzig, the album was produced by Rick Rubin.

No comments: