Thursday, May 31, 2007

A-Z CDs - Day 18

Sometimes I forget how much I love The Doors. Not today.
153. The Doors - The Doors (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - A phenomenal debut, featuring megahits "Light My Fire" and "Break On Through," as well as many other gems, including songs inspired by mescaline, the Oedipus-inspired "The End," which infamously got them banned from the Whisky-a-Go-Go in LA (I guess the owner didn't like the line, "Mother, I want to fuck you all night long.") The world hadn't really seen rock 'n' roll this dark when this came out. As one guy once said (loosely), "On the radio, people are listening to 'Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter,' and here comes this guy talking about fucking his mother."
154. The Doors - Strange Days (last listen: 1-2 years) - Probably my favorite Doors album. "When the Music's Over" is an 11-minute masterpiece.
155. The Doors - Waiting for the Sun (last listen: 1-2 years) - My first tattoo is a colorized version of the lizard on the inside sleeve of this album.
156. The Doors - Morrison Hotel (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - This one has "Peace Frog," which is my favorite Doors song.
157. The Doors - Soft Parade (last listen: 5+ years) - Probably my least favorite Doors album, Soft Parade features a horn section and was generally overproduced.
158. The Doors - L.A. Woman (last listen: 1-2 years) - This is their final studio album before Jim Morrison's death, and it's a really good one.
159. The Doors - In Concert (last listen: 1-2 years) - Great live album. The version of "Light My Fire," intertwined with "Graveyard Poem" is nice, as is their cover of "Gloria." I also enjoy "When the Music's Over." The man can shriek.
160. The Doors - Greatest Hits (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - For the beginning or casual Doors fan, this double CD greatest hits album is a perfect, and it's only $9.99 on Amazon, which is a great price for a double CD. Many thanks go out to Gemkeezi, who got my liner notes from this CD signed by Robbie Krieger when he caddied 9 or 10 years ago for Krieger (who Gemkow described as "a walking soul").

No comments: