Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Longshanks is a Dick

While I sit here eating a surprisingly sweet Granny Smith (the apple, not some dude's grandma, jackasses), I just realized that today is the 701st anniversary of the execution of William Wallace, perhaps one of the worst days in US History. But on the other hand, it's Rick Springfield's 57th birthday, which is ironic because William Wallace never knew anyone named Jessie, but he did do everything for Scotland, which did nothing for him. Unless you consider post-mortem events, such as nine years after his death, in the Year of Our Lord Thirteen Fourteen, at the Battle of Bannockburn, when some Scottish dudes -- reportedly starving and outnumbered -- won their freedom by fighting like warrior-poets, whatever the fuck that means.

As I noted yesterday, I started a GMYH MySpace page. I put a link to that page on the right sidebar. The 1st 12 friends I get will have the honor (and concomitant glory) of being forever in my Top 12 (aside from Tom, the MySpace operator who is everyone's friend -- he does not get said glory).

College football is merely a week and a half away. I know that everyone is excited as me (and I even like a team that hasn't been to a bowl since 1993). To hold everyone over, here is a link to the Bluegrass Miracle. It never gets old, especially the part where the fucking stupid UK fans are still rushing the field not realizing that their team lost. Thanks to Tail Pipe Hess for the link.

For those of you who are more into college basketball, it's only about 3 months away. To hold you over, I have this sweet homemade video from the stands of last year's IU/Duke game when Marco Killingsworth's breakaway dunk gave the Hoosiers the lead and broke Assembly Hall into hysterics. The quality of the video is not great, but you get the point. It's pandemonium. As Holt "Gimme Some" Hedrick (who sent me the link) said, "Even Coach K called it the loudest stadium he'd ever heard outside of Cameron Indoor." Man, I miss going to IU basketball games. For you Illinois fans, those weird red oblong things you see above the far end of the court are NCAA championship banners.

In other news, I need -- yes, need -- more submissions for Midwestern Eavesdropping. We currently have two. This once-every-two-weeks shit is really starting to affect my Qi (or ch'i, for those of you into Wade-Giles romanization, or ki, for those of you into romanized Japanese -- I honestly have no idea what any of that means, but it's on Wikipedia, so it has to be important to someone).

No comments: