Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Support Jamie and Children With Disabilities

Many of you know my friend and former college roommate Jamie "Mounty" Belanger. One of the things you may not know about this former Canadian is that he likes to ride bikes to help raise money for Push America, a philanthropic organization dedicated to helping people with physical and mental disabilities. Well, he's up to it again. Here's a message from the man himself:

"Dear Loyal GMYH Readers,

Did you know that there are over 54 million Americans living with a disability today? People with disabilities face many challenges everyday that most of us cannot imagine. Tragically, one of the biggest barriers that people with disabilities face is a lack of understanding by our society. A simple message of empathy and acceptance is all it takes to break down this barrier, and I have committed myself to spreading that message this summer.

As many of you know, in the summer of 2000 I participated in a cross-country bicycle ride called the Journey of Hope which supports Push America, an organization dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for people with disabilities. From August 10th - 12th, I will once again be raising awareness on behalf of people with disabilities by cycling from Richmond, VA to Washington, DC with other Journey of Hope alumni. My individual goal is to raise $1,000 by August 1st as part of my team's goal of raising over $100,000. We will also be reaching out to hundreds of people with disabilities along the way and striving to spread our message of acceptance and understanding to more than 1 million people!

It's my hope that you'll be able to assist me with my efforts by making a tax-deductible donation to Push America. You can donate on-line by following the link at the bottom of this message, and any amount you're able to give is greatly appreciated. I encourage you to visit my personal fundraising page, in order to learn more about the Journey of Hope and Push America.

Additionally, please feel free to forward this link to anyone you think might be interested in supporting this worthy cause.

I hope this message finds each of you doing well, and thank you very much for your help.

Jamie"

https://secure.pushamerica.org/JamieBelanger

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa. I hope this raises as much awareness as it should.