Friday, July 20, 2007

A-Z CDs - Day 52

428. Stone Temple Pilots - Core (last listen: 1-2 years) - When I got my first CD player on my 16th birthday instead of a car, this was one of the three accompanying CDs. From the opening line, "I am smelling like a rose on my birthday deathbed," to the last note, this album is great. "Plush" is probably my favorite song of the '90s, bringing back memories of my meteoric rise from second-string DB to first-string WR in sophomore football. "Wicked Garden" is great too, as are "Sex Type Thing," "Creep," "Dead and Bloated," and "Crackerman."
429. Stone Temple Pilots - Purple (last listen: 5+ years) - A pretty solid follow-up to Core, this one features "Vaseline," "Interstate Love Song," "Unglued," and "Big Empty" (featured in The Crow).
430. The Strokes - Is This It? (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - With "Last Nite," The Strokes officially ushered in the garage rock revival (although technically The White Stripes were doing it first). This album is fantastic, harkening early punk, classic garage rock, Velvet Underground, and just plain rock and roll. "Hard to Explain" is my favorite song off the album. "Someday" is great. "Barely Legal" is great. Hell, the whole album is great. Buy it if you don't already have it.
431. The Strokes - Room On Fire (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - Their sophomore album didn't get as much publicity or have as much success as Is This It, but I like it a lot. It's very Cars influenced and very catchy. I've always like the opening line of the album: "I want to be forgotten, and I don't want to be reminded." "Reptilia" is a nice fast-paced song. "Meet Me In the Bathroom" is a fair depiction of my life. "Under Control" is a pretty cool song. "I Can't Win" is a good, too, and is probably an even more fair depiction of my life than "Meet Me In the Bathroom."
432. The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth (last listen: 0-3 months) - Their latest release. Good shit.
433. Sugar Ray - Floored (last listen: 5+ years) - Aside from "Fly," this album is full of punk/metal, which isn't all that great. However, I will say that Mark McGrath is the greatest Rock 'N' Roll Jeopardy player I've ever seen. He would definitely make the top ten list of Celebrities I Wish Were My Neighbors.
434. Sugar Ray - 14:59 (last listen: 2-5 years) - With 14:59 (a clever little statement that they thought their 15 minutes of fame were about up), Sugar Ray turned exclusively to what made them famous with "Fly": catchy pop songs. "Someday," "Every Morning," and "Falls Apart" received solid airplay. The whole album is good.
435. Supagroup - Supagroup (last listen: 2-5 years) - AC/DC meets the Black Crowes with these southern rockers. It's just good, old-fashioned ball-busting rock and roll.

No comments: