Friday, July 06, 2007

A-Z CDs - Day 42

350. Pink Floyd - The Wall (last listen: 5+ years) - A commercial once described Pink Floyd as "sonic alchemy." It makes no sense at all, but this double album seems to be alchemic. In addition to many other songs, it contains such hits as "Another Brick in the Wall" (parts 1, 2, and 3), "Mother," "Young Lust," "Hey You," "Comfortably Numb," and "Run Like Hell."
351. The Platters - The Great Pretender (last listen: 5+ years) - I think I bought this because it was ridiculously cheap compared to the other Platters CD, and it turned out to be cheap for a reason: these songs may be by the Platters, but they are not the originals. The Great Pretender, indeed. I should have known something was up when the CD said "Made in Canada." I think I listened to this CD once after I bought it, and I was pissed off enough about getting duped that I did not listen to it again until today. I couldn't find a link to it (there are multiple Platters compilations called "The Great Pretender"), and even if I did, I would spare you all the possibility of accidentally purchasing it.
352. Poison - Greatest Hits 1986-1996 (last listen: 0-3 months) - A fantastic collection of Poison's work. It has all of their big hits, including, but not limited to, "Talk Dirty To Me," "Every Rose Has Its Thorn," "Unskinny Bop," "Nothin' But a Good Time," "I Want Action," Something to Believe In," "Look What the Cat Dragged In," "Cry Tough," "Your Mama Don't Dance," and "I Won't Forget You." My favorite song is "Fallen Angel," probably because it hits very close to home.
353. The Police - Every Breath You Take: The Singles (last listen: 2-5 years) - Quite a coincidence, considering The Police played a concert I didn't attend at a ball park a mile from my house last night and will do the same thing again tonight. Little known fact: the lead singer's real name is Gordon, and after the Police, he went on to star in such movies as Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. My only beef with this album is that it doesn't include "So Lonely," which King Konga used to cover quite handsomely.
354. Elvis Presley - The Number One Hits (last listen: 2-5 years) - 18 number ones. My favorites off this one are "Suspicious Minds," "Heartbreak Hotel," "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You," and "Jailhouse Rock."
355. Elvis Presley - The Top Ten Hits (last listen: 2-5 years) - I only have the second disc of this double album. Of the songs I have, "In the Ghetto," "Burning Love," and "Devil in Disguise" are my favorites.
356. Elvis Presley - A Legendary Performer, Volume 1 (last listen: 2-5 years) - I think I got this one because it has his first single: his cover of Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup's "That's All Right." It also has a couple interview excerpts.
357. The Pretenders - The Singles (last listen: 2-5 years) - A lot of people forget (or don't know) that The Pretenders are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and this album is a great encapsulation of how they got there. The songs are pretty damn catchy, and Chrissie Hynde's voice is always easy on the ears. All of their hits are here: "Stop Your Sobbing" (a cover of The Kinks), "Brass in Pocket," "Message of Love," "Back on the Chain Gang," "Middle of the Road," "Don't Get Me Wrong," and, of course, Chrissie Hynde's collaboration with UB40, "I Got You Babe." My personal favorites are "Message of Love," "Middle of the Road," and "Talk of the Town."

No comments: