Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A-Z CDs - Day 50

412. Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits (last listen: 2-5 years)
413. Frank Sinatra - Greatest Hits (last listen: 1-2 years) - The Chairman of the Board. Everyone should have some Sinatra in their collection.
414. Skid Row - Skid Row (last listen: 0-3 months) - An awesome debut from these guys. Sebastian Bach wails like few others can (hell, he’s headlined on Broadway), but my favorite was bassist Rachel Bolan, who had a chain going from his earring to his nose ring. I vividly remember when I originally bought this on tape, back in the summer of 1989, from Beautiful Day Records in LaGrange. I was staying at the DeMuth household for a couple weeks while my parents were either on a trip around the world or in rehab or both. Later in the day (after I bought the tape), Jeremy and I watched The Shining for the first time. About halfway through, I was sufficiently freaked out that I went upstairs and listened to Skid Row while playing Nintendo (most likely Wizards & Warriors). Aside from “Youth Gone Wild,” “18 and Life,” and “I Remember You,” this album has several lesser known gems, such as “Big Guns,” “Here I Am,” and “Makin’ a Mess.” “Talk is cheap, and so is she” from “Rattlesnake Shake” is one of my favorite hair band lyrics.
415. Sly & The Family Stone - Greatest Hits (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - A solid collection from an underrated ‘60s juggernaut.
416. Will Smith - Big Willie Style (last listen: 5+ years)
417. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - What a great album. Behind NWA’s Straight Outta Compton, this is my favorite rap album. My favorites off the album are “Ain’t No Fun,” “Gin & Juice,” and “Tha Shiznit.” If you’re lickin’, that’s WBALLS.
418. Soul Asylum - Grave Dancers Union (last listen: 0-3 months)

No comments: