Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A-Z CDs - Day 45

371. The Ramones - Weird Tales of the Ramones (Disc 3) (last listen: 1-2 years)
372. Robert Randolph & The Family Band - Unclassified (last listen: 1-2 years) - This album is awesome. Robert Randolph is a steel guitar master, and the music is infectiously energetic. It's blues, Santana, southern rock, and funk, all rolled into one.
373. Razorlight - Up All Night (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - One of my favorite albums from the past few years. It's punk, Television, The Strokes, The Replacements, and pop with hooks. "Stumble and Fall" is my favorite song on the album, and whether or not Jessie knows it, it played during the cocktail hour before our wedding reception. Other solid songs are "In the City," "Leave Me Alone," and "To The Sea." "Golden Touch" was featured in a Pontiac commercial a couple years ago. And lead singer Johnny Borrell is dating Kirsten Dunst, although I'm not sure if that's a plus or a minus.
374. Razorlight - Razorlight (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - I don't like this one as much as their debut. It just doesn't seem to have the same energy. That's not to say it's a bad album, just not as good as the first, in my eyes. "In the Morning" is a catchy song, as is "Before I Fall to Pieces."
375. Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute (last listen: never) - This is one of the better ones that didn't make it to Dubai. I have several RHCP albums on tape, but have never repurchased them on CD. Listening to this album reminds me that I need to do so.
376. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication (last listen: 2-5 years) - I love word combinations, so it's no surprise I'm a big fan of this album.
377. Otis Redding - Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul (last listen: 1-2 years) - A quintessential soul album. "I've Been Loving You Too Long" is achingly fantastic. "Shake" is great, as are "Ole Man Trouble," "Rock Me Baby," and the original version of "Respect."
378. Otis Redding - Tell the Truth (last listen: 1-2 years) - Another solid effort. "Wholesale Love," "I Got the Will," "Slippin' And Slidin'," and "Snatch a Little Piece" are my favorites.
379. Otis Redding - The Very Best Of (last listen: 1-2 years) - I highly recommend this for anyone who wants to get into Otis Redding (which should be all of you). He was so much more than "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay," as this collection shows. Every song is great. In addition to the aforementioned "I've Been Loving You Too Long" and "Shake," some of my favorites are "I've Got Dreams to Remember," "Try a Little Tenderness," "These Arms of Mine," "That's How Strong My Love Is," and "Mr. Pitiful."

No comments: