Monday, July 16, 2007

A-Z CDs - Day 48

395. Runner & The Thermodynamics - Runner & The Thermodynamics (last listen: 0-3 months) - This is another band that I'm pissed didn't make it big. It didn't help that they broke up, but whatever. This album is straight-ahead rock and roll, or "original classic rock," as they call it. "Powerlines" and "The Dude's Old Lady" are my favorite two off this album. Marc Pinansky, the lead singer went on to form Township, which has yet to release a full album, but has a sweet EP that I should be getting to this week or next week.
396. Runner & The Thermodynamics - The Dude (last listen: 0-3 months) - This was Runner's second album that was only released on their now-defunct website. "In Your Eyes" (not the Peter Gabriel song) is my favorite off this one.
397. Sam and Dave - Greatest Songs (last listen: 5+ years) - Like the Platters' CD that I was duped into buying (see #351), this CD does not contain the original versions of the songs. Unfortunately, Amazon.com was not around when I bought it, so I didn't have the benefit of reading consumer reviews. Sam sounds like Steve Winwood. "Soul Man" is off. "Hold On, I'm Comin'" doesn't have the same pizzazz as the original version. It does have a couple covers of other soul songs ("Mustang Sally," "Sweet Soul Music," "Land of 1000 Dances"), but that doesn't really make this worth purchasing.
398. Santana - Santana (last listen: 1-2 years) - Santana's eponymous debut is a good one. As expected, Latin beats, searing guitar licks, pounding electric organs, and percussion aplenty highlight this album. "Soul Sacrifice" and "Treat" are my favorites off this album.
399. Santana - Abraxas (last listen: 1-2 years) - We all know "Black Magic Woman" and "Oye Como Va," but Santana's second album offers so much more. "Mother's Daughter," "Hope You're Feeling Better," and "Samba Pa Ti" are my favorites off this one.
400. Santana - Santana (III) (last listen: 1-2 years) - "I Ain't Got Nobody That I Can Depend On," "Jungle Strut," and "Everything's Coming Our Way" are my favorites off of this, their third album.
401. Santana - Supernatural (last listen: 5+ years) - This was, of course, Santana's gigantic Grammy-winning hit album in 1999, featuring collaborations with Eric Clapton, Rob Thomas, Everlast, Dave Matthews, Wyclef, and Lauryn Hill, among others. There are also some non-collaborations. I like "Migra" and "Maria Maria." The album does drag on a bit.
402. Saturday Night Fever (soundtrack) (last listen: 5+ years) - Disco abounds in this double-disc Bee Gees-heavy soundtrack. It used to be the best selling soundtrack of all-time, and as far as I'm concerned, it still is (since The Bodyguard and Titanic might actually be worse movies than Saturday Night Fever, or so I assume, since I've only seen Titanic once and not the other two). Obviously "Stayin' Alive" and "Night Fever" are solid. Other highlights are the Brothers Gibb's "Jive Talkin'," The Trammps's "Disco Inferno," KC & The Sunshine Band's "Boogie Shoes," Kool & The Gang's "Open Sesame," and The Tavares's version of "More Than a Woman" (but not the Bee Gees version).
403. Wil Schonsheck - Every Single Day (last listen: never) - This dude worked for an insurance company gave a presentation about various insurance options (I think) at my old firm in Dayton, and then handed out his own Christian music CDs afterward. I don't know why I took one. There's 35 minutes and 22 seconds I'll never get back. Praise Jesus.
404. The Scorpions - 20th Century Masters (last listen: 3 months to 1 year) - A welcome listen after what I am now referring to as The Schonsheck Debacle. I love "The Zoo." Obviously, their other hits are solid too ("Rock You Like a Hurricane," "Rhythm of Love," "Big City Nights," "Wind Of Change," "No One Like You").
405. Semisonic - Feeling Strangely Fine (last listen: never) - This is one of several CDs I commandeered from my brother's dormant CD collection when I was home last Sunday, since I'm pretty sure he hasn't listened to it in nearly 10 years. "Closing Time" was the big song off this one. Other than that, it's fairly mellow rock, reminiscent of Ben Folds Five.

No comments: